Saturday, March 29, 2014

Divine Interruptions-Do they annoy you too?

I’d like to say I’m a patient person. In most contexts I think I do pretty well (although, maybe it’s best to ask my sweet husband that question!). But, one of the hardest times for me to be patient is when I am totally consumed in something or someone, and I get interrupted. I can get so frustrated when my plans get messed up! Am I alone in this?

Why is it that when God shows you a truth He seems to immediately give you a little “practice session.” Grrr. I really hate that.

I mean, how would YOU respond when your husband gets a new car (that you’ve been saving for forever!) and 10 days later someone backs into it?? Not. Cool. Would you like to know what he did? Keep reading.

A few days ago I was talking with a friend and sat for hours listening to her share about how her whole world is crumbling around her feet. How do you deal with dissolvent of so many of your hopes and plans for your family and future? How do you deal with it when things happen that are totally out of your control and your whole family’s path seems to be utterly and unchangeably interrupted? Interruption can rock your world.

With so many thoughts of interruption on my mind this week, it was interesting as I opened up John 9 and God totally had me see this scripture in a new light.

John 9:1-3
"As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.”

Woah.

Think about the blind man’s parents. Can you imagine the excitement of bringing a child into this world, and then finding out the devastating news that he was BLIND? Imagine the condemnation they must have felt from others that it was their sin that caused this poor child to be born blind! That must have really interrupted the plans and dreams they had for their family.

And, the poor child…Imagine the possible condemnation he must have felt his whole entire life. If the disciples questioned the cause of his blindness, I’m sure he must have felt that from others as well. A life interrupted.

But, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE what Jesus said to the disciples, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.”

Isn’t that so cool?

I keep thinking, “Wow, God allows interruptions in my life so that others can see the works of God in me!” It totally changes the way I view being interrupted. I’ve started thinking of them as “Divine Interruptions.” I guess you can also call it God’s sovereignty, but I like my name better. Ha ha.

So, friend, I don’t know what is going on in your life, but do you feel a bit interrupted lately?
Are you struggling in your relationships with a loved one?
Have you recently lost a job or are struggling in your career?
Are your kids going down a path that is devastating them (and you)?
Have you lost a child, parent, sibling or friend and it's still devastating you?
Do you feel like life just keeps throwing you a curve ball and you don’t know what to do next?

Here are three things to consider as you pray about your current interruptions:

1.) Are you viewing your life’s interruptions through the lens of God’s great plan for your life?
Jeremiah 29:11-12
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me,
and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.”

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts

2.) Are you allowing these Divine Interruptions as “practice sessions” for becoming more Christ-like?

Colossians 1:10
“…walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

and lastly,

3.) Are you looking for opportunities to let others to see the work of God in you?

John 9:3
“It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.”

Hang in there, my friends. I know that life is going to continue to throw us all curve balls!! Wouldn’t it be cool, though, if we could actually use these interruptions as an opportunity to allow others to see the works of God in us?!

So, I know you’re just dying to know how Bradley responded to his little interruption last week. Let me just say I think He handled it marvelously. He had such amazing grace and compassion on the kid. He did not give in to the temptation to be angry or even frustrated by what happened. He looked at it as an opportunity to show this young man that his faith is more than just words.

I’d love to hear YOUR stories. Have you had any divine interruptions that have given you an opportunity to let God shine through you this week?

Digging Deeper,

Tirzah
















No comments:

Post a Comment